US186416A - Improvement in door-bells - Google PatentsImprovement in door-bells Download PDF
- Publication number
- US186416A US186416A US186416DA US186416A US 186416 A US186416 A US 186416A US 186416D A US186416D A US 186416DA US 186416 A US186416 A US 186416A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 230000002035 prolonged Effects 0.000 description 2
- 230000000630 rising Effects 0.000 description 2
- G10—MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; ACOUSTICS
- G10K—SOUND-PRODUCING DEVICES; METHODS OR DEVICES FOR PROTECTING AGAINST, OR FOR DAMPING, NOISE OR OTHER ACOUSTIC WAVES IN GENERAL; ACOUSTICS NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR
- G10K3/00—Rattles or like noise-producing devices, e.g. door-knockers
J. P. coNNELL.
DOOR-BELL. N0.1 36,416. Patented Jan. 23,1877;
N- FEI'VVERS. PHOTO-LITHOGRAPMER, WQSl iINGTON, D. C
UNITED STATES PATENT QFFICE.
JOHN P. CONNELL, OF KENSINGTON, CONNECTICUT.
IMPROVEMENT IN DOOR-BELLS.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. I 86,416, dated January 23, 1877; application filed November 29, 1873. i
ducing a side view of the bell, the concave- Fig. 3 is a sounding-shell being in its place. front view of the plate or escutcheon upon the other or front side of the door. Fig. 4: is a rear view of the escutcheon.
The mechanism of the bell proper, though an invention of mine, is not the subject-mat ter of this present application, and with reference to this present application is expressly disclaimed.
- The features which do form the subjectmatter of this application will be found specified in the claims at the end hereof.
The letter 0. denotes the door; b, the jamb; 0, the base-plate of the bell fixed to the door; 01, the central pillar rising from the base-plate, and supporting the sounding-shell e; f, the hammer of the bell, pivoted on the pin g,- h, the spring which gives the hammer its stroke; 0', a lever pivoted on pin g, serving as a latchlever; j, a pawl pressed upon by the spring k, which, when the lever i is raised, draws back the hammer for a stroke; and l, a cam, against which the free end of the pawl 7" bears, which, at the proper time, disengages. the pawl from the hammer-arm, so as to permit the hammer to strike.
The lever t is or may be prolonged, so as to serve as a latch-lever, taking into the catch m, affixed to the door-jamb. Through a mortise in the door runs the thumb-lever n, pivoted in cars 0, fast to the back of the escutch-- eon o, and having the thumb-piece h. The lever it runs under the latch-lever, so that when the thumb-piece is pressed down, the lever 41 is raised, striking the bell, and, if lever 'i be extended into a latch-lever, uulatching the door at the same time. Under the thumb-lever n is a finger-hold, 1', fast to the escutcheon. Pawl j is pivoted, at its lower end, upon pin j, projecting from finger 11, extending downward from lever t.
I claim as my improvement and invention- 1. The bell-operating attachment, composed of the escutcheon 0, bearing the finger-hold r, and the ears 0, in which is pivoted the lever n, extending to the bell mechanism, all substantially as described.
2. The combination of the escutcheon, constructed as described, with a thumb-lever and a bell-operating mechanism.
JOHN P. CONNELL.
E. W. MORGAN, WALDO PIERCE.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US186416A true US186416A (en)||1877-01-23|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US186416D Expired - Lifetime US186416A (en)||Improvement in door-bells|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US186416A (en)|
- US US186416D patent/US186416A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US186416A (en)||Improvement in door-bells|
|US149375A (en)||Improvement in door-bells|
|US206899A (en)||Improvement in door-alarms|
|US201382A (en)||Improvement in burglar-alarms|
|US255356A (en)||Alarm and door-bell|
|US221730A (en)||Improvement in bell-striking mechanisms|
|US164126A (en)||Improvement in bell-pulls|
|US362151A (en)||Alarm bell and look|
|US241616A (en)||Waltbe p|
|US808376A (en)||Door-latch attachment.|
|US326840A (en)||Giacomo beedee|
|US477649A (en)||Gong door-bell|
|US590854A (en)||William a|
|US886635A (en)||Door-latch mechanism.|
|US165691A (en)||Improvement iw burglar-alarms|
|US1505760A (en)||Burglar alarm|
|US228954A (en)||William t|