US181241A - Improvement in barrels - Google PatentsImprovement in barrels Download PDF
- Publication number
- US181241A US181241A US181241DA US181241A US 181241 A US181241 A US 181241A US 181241D A US181241D A US 181241DA US 181241 A US181241 A US 181241A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- inner side
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B65—CONVEYING; PACKING; STORING; HANDLING THIN OR FILAMENTARY MATERIAL
- B65D—CONTAINERS FOR STORAGE OR TRANSPORT OF ARTICLES OR MATERIALS, e.g. BAGS, BARRELS, BOTTLES, BOXES, CANS, CARTONS, CRATES, DRUMS, JARS, TANKS, HOPPERS, FORWARDING CONTAINERS; ACCESSORIES, CLOSURES, OR FITTINGS THEREFOR; PACKAGING ELEMENTS; PACKAGES
- B65D9/00—Containers having bodies formed by interconnecting or uniting two or more rigid, or substantially rigid, components made wholly or mainly of wood or substitutes therefor
- B65D9/02—Containers of curved cross-section, e.g. cylindrical boxes
- B65D9/04—Containers of curved cross-section, e.g. cylindrical boxes made up of staves, e.g. barrels for liquids
D. F. BOWKER.
No. 181,241. Patented Aug. 22, 18761 U NITED STATES PATENT DFFIGE.
DANIELE. BOWKER, OF FITZWILLIAM, ASSIGNOR TO STEPHEN D. OSBOR AND J OHN A. WRIGHT, OF KEENE, NEW HAMPSHIRE.
IMPROVEMENT lN BARRELS.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. 181,241, dated August 22,1876; application filed 7 July 27, 1876.
i To all whom it may concern;
Be it known that I, DANIEL F. BOWICER, of Fitzwilliam, in the county of Cheshire and State of New Hampshire, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Barrels; and I do hereby declare that the following is a full, clear, and exact description thereof, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, and to the letters of reference marked thereon, which form a part of this specification. 1
The object of my invention is to render the joints of barrels, kegs, wooden oil-cans, and similar packages perfectly tight, and capable of resisting the pressure of liquids, paints and oils of all kinds, much longer and more efficiently than the ordinary barrels and cans now in use; also, to obviate the liability to warping and consequent opening of the joints from atmospheric changes; and it consists in securing a wooden or metal strip or cleat over the inner side of the ordinary tongue-andgroove joint of a barrel or can, as hereinafter more fully described.
1n the drawings, Figure 1 is a-view of a can or pail embodying my invention and Fig. 2 is an end view of two staves united by a tongue-and-groove joint, andfurther secured by a cleat on the inner side of the joint.
A represents a barrel-stave, which is madeneled longitudinallypn its inner side, near the edges, for the reception of the tongues b b of the cleat O. This cleat varies in width and thickness according to the relative size of the stave to which it is applied, and is channeled through the center, so as to form tongues on the inner side of each edge, by means of which it is secured over the joint, the tongues b b entering the longitudinal'grooves on the inner side of the adjacent staves, and holding them firmly together.
Various adhesive compounds capable of resisting the action of liquids and oils may be used, if desired, for the purpose of obtaining further security and uniting the cleats firmly to the barrel or can.
It is obvious thata cleat, made as described, may also be usefully employed in securing the joints of wooden boxes and other packages.
I claim as my invention The cleat '0, provided with the tongues b b, l in combination with the channeled staves of a barrel, substantially as and for the purpose set forth.
In testimony whereof I have hereunto affixed my signature this 22d day of July, 1876, in presence of two witnesses.
DAN. F. BOWKER.
EDWARD P. DOLE, W. H. LEWIs.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US181241A true US181241A (en)||1876-08-22|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US181241D Expired - Lifetime US181241A (en)||Improvement in barrels|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US181241A (en)|
- US US181241D patent/US181241A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US3126120A (en)||Hinged cover container|
|US1159229A (en)||Knockdown box.|
|US1038923A (en)||Crate-corner lock.|
|US1334186A (en)||Knockdown container|
|US2850204A (en)||Milk crate|
|US4034886A (en)||Plastic lids and pails|
|US1045055A (en)||Metal keg.|
|US4126246A (en)||Plastic lids and pails|
|US927538A (en)||Folded-corner can or vessel.|
|US744405A (en)||Packing or shipping box.|
|US774384A (en)||Water-conducting pipe or the like.|
|US512091A (en)||Joseph s|
|US909664A (en)||Shipping crate or case.|
|US162355A (en)||Improvement in plasterers trowels|
|US1976173A (en)||Barrel stave|
|US643787A (en)||Metallic cask.|
|US354572A (en)||Edwin norton|
|US1429220A (en)||Metallic keg|
|US1196492A (en)||Detachable handle or bail for containers and vessels.|
|US327254A (en)||John graves|
|US1177847A (en)||Collapsible box.|
|US146150A (en)||Improvement in powder-kegs|