US152641A - Improvement in shutter-workers - Google PatentsImprovement in shutter-workers Download PDF
- Publication number
- US152641A US152641A US152641DA US152641A US 152641 A US152641 A US 152641A US 152641D A US152641D A US 152641DA US 152641 A US152641 A US 152641A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 210000000614 Ribs Anatomy 0.000 description 12
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 6
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 2
- F—MECHANICAL ENGINEERING; LIGHTING; HEATING; WEAPONS; BLASTING
- F16—ENGINEERING ELEMENTS AND UNITS; GENERAL MEASURES FOR PRODUCING AND MAINTAINING EFFECTIVE FUNCTIONING OF MACHINES OR INSTALLATIONS; THERMAL INSULATION IN GENERAL
- F16H19/00—Gearings comprising essentially only toothed gears or friction members and not capable of conveying indefinitely-continuing rotary motion
- F16H19/02—Gearings comprising essentially only toothed gears or friction members and not capable of conveying indefinitely-continuing rotary motion for interconverting rotary or oscillating motion and reciprocating motion
- F16H19/025—Gearings comprising essentially only toothed gears or friction members and not capable of conveying indefinitely-continuing rotary motion for interconverting rotary or oscillating motion and reciprocating motion comprising a friction shaft
- Y—GENERAL TAGGING OF NEW TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS; GENERAL TAGGING OF CROSS-SECTIONAL TECHNOLOGIES SPANNING OVER SEVERAL SECTIONS OF THE IPC; TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC CROSS-REFERENCE ART COLLECTIONS [XRACs] AND DIGESTS
- Y10—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC
- Y10T—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER US CLASSIFICATION
- Y10T74/00—Machine element or mechanism
- Y10T74/18—Mechanical movements
- Y10T74/18568—Reciprocating or oscillating to or from alternating rotary
1. w.1EnK|Ns. A, l -Sh'utter-Wurk-ers.. No.152,641. Patentedlune'smwm.
A' UNITED i STATEs PATENT OFFICE.
JAMES W. JEDKINS, OF MONMOUTH, MAINE.
IMPROVEMENT IN SHUTTER-WORKERS.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. 152,64 A1, dated June 30, 1874; application filed May 12, 1874.
To all whom it may concern:
Be it known that I, JAMES IV. J nDKlNs, of Monmouth, in the county of Kennebec and State of Maine, have invented an Improved Shutter-Operator, of which the following is a specification My invention relates to certain improvements in devices for opening and closing window-shutters from the inside, which devices may be applied to shutters of any ordinary4 description, independent ot' the hinges by which the shutters are attached to the window-frame.
This invention consists mainly ot' a shaft carrying a pinion, which operates upon a chambered plate having teeth and ribs ot' a peculiar construction, as hereinafter described, for operating window blinds or shutters. The invention consists further of a peculiar construction and combination of parts hereinafter described and claimed.
In the accompanying drawing, Figure l is a side elevation, showing my invention applied to a shutter. Fig. 2 is a transverse horizontal section. Figs. 3, 4, and 5 are detail views hereinafter referred to.
rlhe shutter A is attached to the frame B by hinges c of any suitable construction. At the desired point between the hinges a hole is bored through the frame, through which passes a shaft, D, having' a knob or crankhandle, d, on its inner end, and a crown -pinion, c, on its outer end. Between the inner side of the pinion and the outer face of the frame B is a recess, in which is inserted a shallow circular box, F, in the center A.of which is journaled a circular plate, G, on the inner side of which are teeth g, (see Figs. 3 and 4,) for engagement with the pinion c, and on the outer side are spirally-eurved ribs h, (see Fig. 5,) for engagement with a mutilated gearwheel, J, which is journaled in a casing, I, screwed to the frame B outside of the box F and plate G. The pinion e and plate G are arranged to revolve in vertical planes, and
the gear J in a horizontal plane, or at right angles with said plate and pinion. The gearwheel J is formed with a quadrantal opening',
in4 which the corner of the side rail of the4 shutter A has room to play, as shown in Fig. 2. At one corner of the quadrantal opening is a pin or stud, l, projecting on each side and engaging with slots m in a plate, M, which is screwed to the outside ot' the shutter, as shown in Figs. l and 2. The outer side of the plate G is concave outside of its center, corresponding with the circumference of the gear J, so as to insure constant contact of the ribs It with the wheel J.
Vhen the handle d is turned the pinion e revolves the plate G, and its curved ribs hengage with the gear-wheel J, so as to turn it, and by means of the pin l and slotted plate M to open or close the shutter according as the Vhandle is turned to the right or left. By means of the slots m the plate M may be adjusted on the shutter to engage with the pin t, so that the invention may be readily applied to shutters already mounted, independently ot'- the hinges.
That I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is-
l. The combinationof the Vshaft I), pinion c, and ehambered plate G having teeth g :and curved ribs h, substantially as and for the purpose described.
2. The chambered plate G provided with teeth g and having its Outer surface concave, and furnished with the curved ribs h, in combination with the mutilated gear-wheel J, as shown and described, for the purpose specied.
3. The plate M, formed with the slots m, in combination with the gear-wheel J, provided with the pin or stud l, substantially as shown and described.
JAMES W. JEDKINS. Witnesses: t
WM. G. BROWN, WM. H. Il. BROWN.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US152641A true US152641A (en)||1874-06-30|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US152641D Expired - Lifetime US152641A (en)||Improvement in shutter-workers|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US152641A (en)|
- US US152641D patent/US152641A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US152641A (en)||Improvement in shutter-workers|
|US216702A (en)||Improvement in sheaves for sliding doors|
|US38392A (en)||Improvement in sash-fastenings|
|US888792A (en)||Shutter or blind operating device.|
|US156044A (en)||Improvement in gate-latches|
|US145842A (en)||Improvement in window-blind-slat operators|
|US149222A (en)||Improvement in shutter-workers|
|US122595A (en)||Improvement in devices for moving blind-slats|
|US160285A (en)||Improvement in door-checks|
|US164519A (en)||Improvement in shutter-workers|
|US346289A (en)||Combined shutter-fastener and shutter-bower|
|US152524A (en)||Improvement in shutter-workers|
|US199649A (en)||Improvement in devices for operating windows and transoms|
|US160255A (en)||Improvement in shutter-workers|
|US145688A (en)||Improvement in shutter-workers|
|US189040A (en)||Improvement in sash-holders|
|US194793A (en)||Improvement in curtain-fixtures|
|US180353A (en)||Improvement in door-bolts|