US137461A - Improvement in fruit-jars - Google PatentsImprovement in fruit-jars Download PDF
- Publication number
- US137461A US137461A US137461DA US137461A US 137461 A US137461 A US 137461A US 137461D A US137461D A US 137461DA US 137461 A US137461 A US 137461A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 210000002832 Shoulder Anatomy 0.000 description 11
- 239000000203 mixtures Substances 0.000 description 3
- 230000000994 depressed Effects 0.000 description 2
- 229920001971 elastomers Polymers 0.000 description 2
- 239000000463 materials Substances 0.000 description 2
- 240000002027 Ficus elastica Species 0.000 description 1
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 1
- 239000011521 glasses Substances 0.000 description 1
- 229920001195 polyisoprenes Polymers 0.000 description 1
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B65—CONVEYING; PACKING; STORING; HANDLING THIN OR FILAMENTARY MATERIAL
- B65D—CONTAINERS FOR STORAGE OR TRANSPORT OF ARTICLES OR MATERIALS, e.g. BAGS, BARRELS, BOTTLES, BOXES, CANS, CARTONS, CRATES, DRUMS, JARS, TANKS, HOPPERS, FORWARDING CONTAINERS; ACCESSORIES, CLOSURES, OR FITTINGS THEREFOR; PACKAGING ELEMENTS; PACKAGES
- B65D41/00—Caps, e.g. crown caps or crown seals, i.e. members having parts arranged for engagement with the external periphery of a neck or wall defining a pouring opening or discharge aperture; Protective cap-like covers for closure members, e.g. decorative covers of metal foil or paper
- B65D41/02—Caps or cap-like covers without lines of weakness, tearing strips, tags, or like opening or removal devices
- B65D41/04—Threaded or like caps or cap-like covers secured by rotation
- B65D41/0407—Threaded or like caps or cap-like covers secured by rotation with integral sealing means
- B65D41/0428—Threaded or like caps or cap-like covers secured by rotation with integral sealing means formed by a collar, flange, rib or the like contacting the top rim or the top edges or the external surface of a container neck
UNITED STATES PATENT FFICE.
JOHN L. MASON, OF NEW BRUNSWICK, NEW JERSEY.
IMPROVEMENT IN FRUIT-JARS.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. 137.461, dated Apxil l, 1873 applicafion led March 6, I873.
To all whom it may concern:
Beit known that I, JOHN L. MASON, of New Brunswick, in the county of Middlesex and State of New Jersey, have invented a new and useful Improvement in Fruit-Jars; and I do hereby declare the following to be a full, clear, and exact description thereof, which will enable those skilled inthe art to make and use the same, reference being had to the accompanying drawing forming part ot' this specification, in which drawing- Figure l represents a side view of my invention. Fig. 2 is a vertical central section of the same.
Similar letters indicate corresponding parts.
This invention consists in the arrangement of square shoulders at both ends of the screwthread on the neck of a fruit-jar, so as to get full threads to start with both in turning the screw-cap down and up, and thereby said cap is effectually prevented from running over the thread; also, in a rubber gasket supported on a shoulder below the top of the neck of a fruitjar, and projecting above said top so as to form a true bearing-surface for the cover entirely independent of and above the top edge of the jar, said rubber gasket being used in combination with a dat cover, and producing with such cover a tight joint without the necessity of grinding off the top edge of the jar.
In the drawing, the letter A designates a fruit-jar, which is made of glass or other suitable material, and on the neck of which is formed a screw-thread, B, to receive the cap O. This screw-thread is provided with square shoulders a a at both ends, which may be produced by forming in the neck a groove, b, running transversely across the screw-threads, as
shown in Fig. l, while those parts of the neck on the sides of said groove opposite to the shoulders a a are left smooth; or said shoulders a c may be formed in any desirable manner.
By forming such square shoulders at the endsof the thread B, I obtain full threads for the screw-cap to start with, both in turning the cap in and in turning it out, and the cap is not liable to run over the threads.
The neck of my jar is provided with a shoulder, c, which is situated below the top edge of the jar, and which, being made in the mold, is true with the screw-thread, B. On this shoulder is placed the gasket d, which is made of India rubber or other suitable material, with its upper and lower surface perfectly parallel, and of such a width that when said gasket is placed on the shoulder c its upperedge will project above the top edge ofthe jar and form a bearing-surface for the cover D, which is true with the screw-thread B, and which is entirely independent of the top edge of the jar.
The cover D is Hat, and, as near as possible, ot' uniform thickness; and after the same has been placed upon the gasket d the screw-cap is applied, and the cover is rmly and evenly depressed upon the gasket.
By lthese means I am enabled to produce a tight joint between the jiat cover D and the jar A-without the necessity of grinding 0E the top edge of the jar, the bearing-surface of the cover being entirely independent of said top edge.
What I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is-
l. The square shoulders c o on the ends of l the screw-threads B B, formed by the transverse groove b on the neck of the jar, in combination with the screw-cap C, substantially as described.
2. The flat cover D, in combination with the gasket d, arranged on the shoulder c below the top edge of the jar, the flat cover being depressed on the gasket by the cap O, substantially as described.
JOHN L. MASON.
Witnesses E. F. KASTENHUBER, W. HAUFF.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US137461A true US137461A (en)||1873-04-01|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US137461D Expired - Lifetime US137461A (en)||Improvement in fruit-jars|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US137461A (en)|
- US US137461D patent/US137461A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US1694851A (en)||Bottle cap|
|US327509A (en)||Bushing and bung|
|US606838A (en)||John j|
|US303558A (en)||Bottle and jar stopper|
|US525753A (en)||Combined dose-gup and bottle|
|US1057576A (en)||Conveyer mechanism.|
|US791097A (en)||Bottle drip-receptacle.|
|US841364A (en)||Handle or knob for cooking utensils.|
|US1577465A (en)||Mucilage bottle|
|US943407A (en)||Water-curb-box lid.|
|US697681A (en)||Fruit-jar closer.|
|US1021622A (en)||Fountain-stopper for mucilage-bottles.|
|US1603101A (en)||Milk-bottle closure|