US131357A - Improvement in pipe-tongs - Google PatentsImprovement in pipe-tongs Download PDF
- Publication number
- US131357A US131357A US131357DA US131357A US 131357 A US131357 A US 131357A US 131357D A US131357D A US 131357DA US 131357 A US131357 A US 131357A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 239000002023 wood Substances 0.000 description 2
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B25—HAND TOOLS; PORTABLE POWER-DRIVEN TOOLS; MANIPULATORS
- B25B—TOOLS OR BENCH DEVICES NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR, FOR FASTENING, CONNECTING, DISENGAGING OR HOLDING
- B25B7/00—Pliers; Other hand-held gripping tools with jaws on pivoted limbs; Details applicable generally to pivoted-limb hand tools
- B25B7/10—Joints with adjustable fulcrum
improvement in Pipe-Tongs.
No. 1315357. Patented sep.17,1872.
qu; hmmm NITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
` ANDREW B. LIPSEY, OF WEST HOBOKEN, NEW JERSEY.
IMPROVEMENT IN PIPE-TONGS.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. 131,357, dated September 17, 1872; antedated September 12,
To all whom t may concern:
Be it known that I, ANDREW B. LIPsEY, of West Hoboken, in the county of Hudson and State of New Jersey, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Pipe-Ton gs, the same being an improvement in the pipetongs for which Letters Patent were granted to me on the 15th day of August, A. D. 1865, No. 49,424; and I do hereby declare the following to be a full, clear, and exact description of the same, reference being had to the accompanyin g drawing which forms a part of this speciiication, and in which- Figure l represents a side view of my improved pipe-ton gs, and Fig. 2 represents a sectional view of the same.
The nature of my invention consists in the combination, with the slotted hooked bar or Y lever, of a serrated pivoted fulcrum-pieee for engaging and supporting the serrated straight bar or lever, as hereinafter described.
In the drawing, the 4part marked A represents the hooked bar or lever, and B indicates the straight bar or lever, the latter being arranged, through a slot formed in the lever A,
to produce the proper leverage upon each oth- The back of the bar B is notched or serrated in the manner shown, and a serrated fulcrumpiece, C, is pivoted in the slotted bar,
A by the pin D, upon which the bar B receives its support when the tongs are in operation. The fulcrum-piece C may be provided with a spring, E, to aid in retaining its serrated edge in proper position to engage the serrations on the bar B, and the upper end of the piece C is rounded off to form a thumb-piece, F, by means of which the fulcrum-piece can be conveniently moved in either direction when desired. The
times have a rm bearing on each other and be subjected to an equal strain and wear, thus greatly adding to the strength and durability of the tongs, and at the same time, in a great degree, perfecting their operation. The bar or lever B may be provided with a wood handle, G, as shown, or it may be made plain like the bar A, as desired.
Having described my improvement in pipetongs, what I claim therein as new and of my invention, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is
1. The combination, with the slotted lever or bar A and serrated lever or bar B, ofthe serrated fulcrum-piece C pivoted to the bar A, substantially as and for the purpose set forth.
2. The serrated fulcrumpiece G, provided with a projecting thumb-piece F, substantially as shown and described.
ANDREW B. LIPSEY.
Witnesses WM. E. SIMON, ROBERT I. QUIGLEY.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US131357A true US131357A (en)||1872-09-17|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US131357D Expired - Lifetime US131357A (en)||Improvement in pipe-tongs|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US131357A (en)|
- US US131357D patent/US131357A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US131357A (en)||Improvement in pipe-tongs|
|US203581A (en)||Improvement in wrenches|
|US208878A (en)||Improvement in pliers|
|US65465A (en)||Joshua b|
|US129506A (en)||John woodville|
|US50584A (en)||Bibdsill holly|
|US195266A (en)||Improvement in wrenches|
|US42031A (en)||Improvement in pocket-knives|
|US200971A (en)||Improvement in wrenches|
|US128268A (en)||Improvement in saw-arbors|
|US138161A (en)||Improvement in pipe-tongs|
|US114703A (en)||Improvement in wrenches|
|US193143A (en)||Improvement in clothes-pins|
|US190330A (en)||Improvement in pipe-tongs|
|US43809A (en)||Improvement in shears|
|US148965A (en)||Improvement in wrenches|
|US200348A (en)||Improvement in wrenches|
|US132789A (en)||Improvement in wrenches|
|US137908A (en)||Improvement in screw-wrenches|